Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

*figurative language- "His comings were like a thief in the night" (pg 565)
*sentence length- "Again, he would sometimes walk up to us, and give us orders as though he was upon the point of starting a long journey, turn his back upon us, and make as though he was going to the house to get ready; and, before he would get halfway thither, he would turn short and crawl into a fence-corner, or behind some tree, and there watch us till the going down of the sun..." (pg 565)
*elaborate- "It was never to hot or cold; it could never rain, blow, hail or snow to hard for us to work in the field" (pg 565)
* emotional- "I was broken in my body, soul, and spirit" (pg 565).
*word choice- "My natural elasticity was crushed, my intellect languished, the disposition to read departed, the cheerful spark that lingured about my eye died; that dark night of slavery closed in upon me; and behold a man transformed into a brute!" (pg 565)

No comments:

Post a Comment